Monday, February 25, 2019

A "How To" and Tip for Y'all

"The Mandolin Player"
From John Everett Malaise, whose work is featured in the Vero Beach Museum of Art's current "Victorian Radicals" exhibition.  However, I have found some questionable authenticity about Malaise having been the sole artist of this piece.  This was a very popular model at the time, and other "Radicals" were using her.  Truly a beautiful woman.  This painting of mine is only a partial of the complete painting, but this is the image I found online that was the most beautiful, and so I wanted it for myself.  However it sold off the wall of the Museum at the Faculty show, so now I must paint it again--but next time in oils I think.

"The Mandolin Player" from John Everett Malaise, by Judy Burgarella,
12"x16". acrylic, with gilded wood frame

I used this painting as a teaching tool for my Portraits in Acrylic class at the Museum, and following is instructions in case you would like to try it yourself.  This painting had many interesting and enjoyable elements in it to paint, but the hands on the original painting were not of good quality, and so I spent a lot of time on them to get it right.  Even to taking a photo of my own hand in the desired position, and copying it from my smart phone.



Here's a nice trick to help you in your painting life ~

PHOTO HOLDER
This little ditty I found at a garage sale.
It is a homemade whachamacalit,  that I felt
somehow I could put to good use.  It actually is a car antennae stuck in a wood plaque, with it's top curled into a "U".  On its end is a clip, and the antennae scopes from 10" to 34".  I soon found a use for it, as pictured here.  I can't tell you how
handy it is to a painter.  It enables me to place
the photo so close to my canvas, at any level I
need, and any angle I need.  Simple, cheap, low-tech lightweight ... Perfect!  Here's what you need:
1. Old car antennae (Ebay? Junkyard?)
2. Clip (fishing, hardware or craft store)
3. Wood base (craft store, Walmart?)
4. Glue
NOTE:  Some of my students have made their
own holders, copying this idea, with much
success, and they love it too!

Hope these tips and tricks help you, and stay tuned for more ideas--and please pass it on!

Judy Burgarella
Blogger


No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Frame a Painting

  COMING SOON  - How to Frame: Stretched canvas Canvas board/wood panel Watercolor Pastel Pencil and charcoal Including information on: Floa...