Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Saying Goodbye is Hard To Do

Goodbye to "The Artist" and Goodbye to "The Mandolin Player ... must let my babies go.  Although I did not put an entry into the Vero Beach Art Club's "Art By The Sea" show this year, for the first time, I did have a couple of paintings on display in the Vero  Beach Museum of Art's Faculty Show (I teach portraiture there). and sold both during the Club's ABTS show there in the Museum.  Two people had to use the rest room after seeing the ABTS show and fell in love with both my pieces in the Faculty show.  Below is "The Artist," Oil on canvas, in a really nice gilded frame.  Going to a good home!


"The Artist"

The other one that sold is "The Mandolin Player," inspired by one of the same name by Victorian Radical member artist John Everett Malaise, which I painted as part of my class project for the Museum to coordinate with their upcoming "Victorian Radicals" exhibition, to be opened February 9th. The frame was a bit pricey, but I (and the framer, "Ridley's Frames of Palm Bay, FL) thought it was worthy of a grand frame, especially since it would be hanging in the Museum for a month or so.  Paid off in spades, as it sold within days.  Tom Ridley, et al., sells fine frames at reasonable prices, and has done it for me while I wait.




"MISTY MORNING" ~ My Next 2 Classes

Thursday February 7th's class at the American Legion  I will do an hour or so demonstration on how to start this painting, including painting rigging and ripples, quick background and sails.  This was a very quick painting, but I plan on painting one for myself in a finer technique, and with more phthalo green in the background to go with the lovely frame I have.    It's a small one, 11" x 7", however I will paint a larger on (12"x16") for the demo so that all can see.  




Perfect beautiful gilded wood frame for "Misty Morning"
It is now February 7th, a few hours after my demo/class at the American Legion, and this subject was easier the second time around, as many of the composition and painting decisions had already by made, and many mysteries solved. So now I am anxious to share even more about painting this picture tomorrow with my next class in Vero tomorrow, February 8th (my birthday!).

Here's a good tip: if you have a collection of frames, create a painting to fit whatever frame you have.  Just makes sense.  I will post step-by-step photos on how to do this one soon as my classes are over.    

Will post more tomorrow (I think!).

Judy Burgarella
Blogger






No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Frame a Painting

  COMING SOON  - How to Frame: Stretched canvas Canvas board/wood panel Watercolor Pastel Pencil and charcoal Including information on: Floa...